Friday 31 July 2015

Tea cosy with a planned second life

The wings are fastened in a cross and festively decorated

In the early seventies Mies Bloch embroidery was very popular. Enchanting designs of Dutch every day life, festive moments, scenes and figures, appeared in the women's magazine 'Margriet' and were published in a book. I made quite a few of her designs: a pillow cover, a sampler of Dutch sailing boats, a Christmas scene and the tea cosy shown on here.
Apart from the book and the individual cross stitch patterns her designs were sold as Christmas cards in aid of charity for children. The card had a picture of the fully finished embroidery with the cross stitch pattern inside. I have to confess I purchased a lot of them, but never sent them off to anyone. Do you share this phenomenon with me? Getting beautiful cards and then wanting to hold on to them? A box full of art cards is sitting there, because I just cannot part with them. Of course I do send other beautiful cards!
If you Google -> pictures -> Mies Bloch you will see her wide range of bright designs.
My mother and sister in law made the same floral pillow cover, we all got the embroider bug. The designs were so inviting to make. The cover worn to bits and thrown out I now consider to remake the pillow cover, as it was such a lovely and colourful design.
The tea cosy lasted, but is no longer in use as such. Using teabags tea is made in a glass or mug and the cosy sits folded up in my drawers. It seems such a waste of my embroidery.
Mies made the tea cosy on a Delft blue background with a rounded top.
My plan is to take the cosy apart and to give it a second life as a cover for my lock machine. It will only need a few sashings in between maybe. Or strips with pinwheel patchwork? The interior of the cosy is made of a red, black and white gingham print, used in national costumes.
Originally it belonged to my grandmother's. The basket is still the same with its black corduroy pot holder inside, trimmed with red satin to match the red cosy. Now you think of course: what will happen to the pretty basket and the cosy?! Well, there is a spare cover in a Laura Ashley strawberry print just in case it will be needed to use again.


The embroidered scene of the windmill is different at the back and the front, this is the backside. When windmills show these decorations hanging from the wings it means happiness and festive moments. The embroidered colour green of the house is typical for North Holland - 'Zaans groen'.

House on the island Marken, North Holland
Pinterest shows many sewing machine covers. The one with the caravan is still my favourite. It is awesome to see what women make and share with us on internet. Very inspiring! My embroidered material will be the basis of mine though, and will be shown on here when finished.

1 comment:

  1. What beautiful work Jacoba! I love the bright cheery colours.

    ReplyDelete